THE CLARINET!
I am a woodwind. I have REED. Blow air through me and press the keys!
The kids very much enjoyed learning about the clarinet, exploring the pieces and their names, and also enjoying the wonderful and famous music of Benny Goodman, a famous clarinet player!
We started out by taking a look at the elements of the clarinet (from the top to bottom): the mouth piece, the reed, the ligature (metal "gasket" that holds the reed in place on the mouthpiece), the barrel joint, the upper joint, the lower joint, and the bell! I did play a few tunes! (Not my best instrument, but I can play simple lullabies!)
I told the children about the clarinet being a reeded woodwind instrument, and demonstrated how to grease the cork that lines the end of each barrel piece as I put it together. Older children learned about the diaphragm muscle in their chest and how it relates to breathing and woodwind playing. I also showed them how to properly clean the clarinet after using!
We then listened to some of the fabulous big band music of Benny Goodman and his orchestra! Check out the pictures and videos below! (Be sure not to miss our "montage" of fabulous dance moves--no one could sit still during the big band today, not even teachers!!!)
_____________________________________________________
BENNY GOODMAN DANCE OFF!
Benny Goodman "Stardust"
