THE SITAR!
We enjoyed learning today about this wonderful and exotic stringed instrument! Used most commonly in Indian music, the sitar can have up to 20 strings and requires constant tuning.
One of the neatest things we learned about the sitar today is that they are often made from dried out pumpkin, or "toomba" (this is the part you see above labeled the "kaddu"). The kids practiced pronouncing all of the names today of the sitar parts as well as the name of the instrument themselves. We also enjoyed singing a call and response song (see below), using rainbow streamers, and pretending to fall to the ground and sleep like leaves.
Questions you can ask about music class today:
1. What instrument did you see today that had strings?
2. What is the instrument made from?
3. How did you move your body with rainbow streamers?
Check out the cool videos below to hear the amazing sitar musician Ravi Shankar and see his impressive technique.
INFANT CLASS
Check out this cute new movement chant we tried today! The video has the simple lyrics posted so you can easily "play along" at home! :)
IF I ASK YOU TO SING (CALL AND RESPONSE SONG)
Listen to the mp3 so you can sing along!
If I ask you to sing, will you sing? (YES I WILL!)
If I ask you to sing, will you sing? (YES I WILL!)
If I ask you to sing, if I ask you to sing
If I ask you to sing, will you sing? (YES I WILL!)
WAY UP HIGH IN THE APPLE TREE
(Toddler Room)




