Week of August 19th, 2013


DICE DANCING!

We had a fun and educational time this morning as we explored both music genre and creative movements associated with different types of music!


For older age groups, we started with some discussion about genre. Check out the awesome web that I made with the school age class below--I was so impressed with their knowledge about music genres! From heavy metal to swing dance, the children already had a colorful range of musical knowledge and type. From there, we listened to some examples that I brought to class that included everything from Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water" to Tchaikovsky's "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies"!






Next came a fun game where we associated a certain song number with a roll of the dice. Children performed solo as well as in groups, and improvised creative movement to correspond with the music that was associated with the number they rolled on the die. Check out the awesome results below and ask your child what their favorite style of music does. Maybe they will show you some of their fancy dance moves! :D