Week of May 27th, 2013


SINGING IN THE RAIN!
Our original plan for this morning was an outdoor musical activity in water! However, the water was supposed to be contained and not falling endlessly from the sky. ;) For that reason, I decided to shift gears and embrace the weather that was sent to us today and carry on with a new plan!

The children enjoyed singing a "call and response" song about the rain today entitled "Rain on the Grass". We also used and explored a lovely hand-tuned wind chime with three notes--a C chord triad:C, F and G. Students also had a blast playing a "Rain, Rain, Go Away game" (pictured below) where each friend took a turn lying in the middle of the circle while friends' hands "rained" down on them.

Last but not least, I showed our friends the wonderful and famous classic song and dance number from the musical film "Singing in the Rain" with Gene Kelly! I used an edited version that skipped the kiss goodnight on the porch, but I did tell the children that Mr. Gene was dancing happily in the rain because he loved a gal. :) They adored his tap dancing and splashing and asked to watch the clip over and over again. Check out the Youtube video below!




The two year olds singing "Rain on the Grass"!